Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Nov. 27th: Take Two!

Because this project is about staying positive, I am going to spin a rather embarrassing experience into an awesomism.  On Sunday I had planned on getting some groceries after my improv workshop, because I would be passing by a grocery store on my way home.  The store I was passing by was not the usual store I shop at, and it also tended to be a little more expensive - but it had most everything I needed/wanted so I stopped off to get some groceries.

I made the mistake of going in without a list, so I spent a little more time at the store than I had wanted but after a good chunk of time I made it to the check out.  There was a very sweet family ahead of me while I was putting all of my groceries on the conveyor belt.  They were just in the process of paying for their groceries as I went to reach for my wallet so that I would be ready to pay when it was my turn.  Unfortunately, when I reached into my purse, guess what was missing!

As the family was packing up their stuff I had to confess that I had no way of paying for my groceries.  I eagerly offered to take everything back to their original places, but the cashier assured me that they would handle everything.  And the mother in front of me said "Oh no. That's horrible." Almost as if she was trying to figure out if there was anything they could do.  Before they even had a chance to offer help, I just shrugged it off and thanked the cashier profusely for taking care of it.

I then took the bus home - grabbed my wallet and then ended up walking to my usual store where I was able to get everything I had originally wanted, and even ended up spending a little less for everything.  

I feel really bad for the store for having to return everything, but it was a really great to know that they were understanding of the situation and able to take care of it on their own.  And hearing from the person in front that they empathized for the situation was also quite comforting.  I sometimes wonder what I would have done had they offered.  I'm sure I would not have made their generosity easy on them.  I can be a overly proud and stubborn at times.  But I also know that if I were in their position I would also want to offer as well.  But would I?  Am I that philanthropic person I've always wanted to be?  Or am I a coward.  Hmmmm - I sense a challenge for myself for the month of December.

No comments:

Post a Comment