Thursday, February 16, 2012

Feb. 14th: Love Day!

VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!  Whether spent with friends, family, or a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse - it is day of celebrating the ones you love.  And for the first time in a while I was actually to spend the day with my partner. 

Somehow the stars aligned so that I had to be in Abbotsford on the Tuesday morning, which meant that I was able to wake up on February 14th to wish Luke a Happy Valentine's Day before we both had to head out the door for a day at work in the Ford (yes, I just called it that).  We were able to have lunch together before he had to go back to work again.  Meanwhile I was able to take the time to catch up on some work and do some help out around the house.  And even have an adventure in making cake without the standard supplies required for making a cake (like a mixing bowl, measuring cups, and the appropriate number of cake pans).  Unfortunately my time management hadn't worked the way I hoped and Luke ended up coming home just as I was icing the first layer of cake.  I had just enough time to get a thin layer on and carve a misshapen heart in it as he walked into the kitchen.  It wasn't the big romantic gesture I had planned, but the hilarious awkwardness of the moment couldn't have been more perfect.

And it was a great preparation for the change in other Valentine's plans.  After a stressful day at work and my not feeling well, we changed our minds about going out for a romantic dinner and instead just had a simple night at home with Luke making breakfast for dinner.  

It's so easy to get caught up in the romance of Valentine's Day.  I will admit to having fallen into the trap despite my best efforts to believe that I didn't need it.  But while I was reflecting on the ridiculousness on what I was feeling, I realized that any disappointment I had felt was caused by the fact that the evening ended up being just like most other nights spent together.  And really - if my usual nights spent with my partner involve him making me dinner and cuddling with me on the ground as I curl up in the fetal position, then really isn't every day Valentine's Day?  I think so!  And that's just awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment