Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Feb. 28th: The Art of the Inhale

I have a new love.  I call it Catalyst Theatre.  A couple of years ago I saw their production of Nevermore: The Imaginary Life and Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe, and I was completely and utterly blown away by the design and stylization of the production.  So as soon as I heard that their show Hunchback was coming to town I knew that I had to see it.

As implied by the title, Hunchback is based on Victor Hugo's novel The Hunchback of Notre Dame about a priest, gypsy, and deformed bell ringer whose lives become entangled in a tale of overpowering love.  Catalyst's telling of this classic story is punctuated with yet another impeccable design, phenomenal musical arrangements, some amazing choreography, and of course the ridiculous triple-threat talents of the entire cast.

It's weird because I often hear mixed reviews of Catalyst shows.  I guess I can understand that the styling of their shows is based on a very specific aesthetic that will not match everyone's taste.  But being one of those people who LOVES their aesthetic, I have a hard time understanding what's not to love.  These people can make a simple inhale an absolutely breathtaking experience.  ... And for the record, I actually thought long and hard as to whether to leave that sentence intact, but because of how much I mean it, I decided to ignore any potential cheesiness for the sake of maintaining the literal translation.

To say this show was awesome feels like a bit of an understatement to me.  Congratulations to Catalyst Theatre, Vancouver Playhouse Theatre, and the Cultch for this stellar production!

No comments:

Post a Comment