Sunday, February 12, 2012

Feb. 9th: The '50s and '60s!

After going to see The Marvelous Wonderettes on Thursday I had all of the music in my head for the next little while.  The show included some of the best hits of the 50's and 60's.  It's funny because I don't really remember my parents owning any albums with some of these classic songs, but I definitely knew them all.  Maybe I just never noticed the albums in the collection, or maybe the songs were in compilations or soundtracks, but somehow I became very acquainted with song and lyrics of "Lollipop", "All I Have to Do Is Dream", "Stupid Cupid", "Heatwave", "It's In His Kiss", "You Don't Own Me", "It's My Party", "Son of a Preacher Man", "Leader of the Pack", "Rescue Me", and "Respect".

I do recall hearing some of these songs from movies (Mermaids and Sister Act, as I recall) but I can't pinpoint when or how I heard the others.  I guess the beauty of classics is that they are classic - so no matter how old you are, it is almost certain that at some point in your life you are destined to hear the songs at some point or other.

So here's to the classics!  And specifically the 50's and 60's as represented by the Marvelous Wonderettes.  Thanks ladies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment