Monday, February 20, 2012

Feb. 20th: Day One with A Kid in the Hall

So - I was lucky enough to come across this amazing opportunity that any Canadian aspiring comedian would love to pounce on.  Second Storey Theatre, where I perform improv in Port Coquitlam, received word that a well-known legend of Canadian comedy wanted to host a two-day workshop in their space.  That comedian just so happened to be Kevin McDonald, of Kids In The Hall fame!

WHAT?!?!?!? Well obviously I had to attend the workshop.  I don't even know what I want out of my career as an improviser/comedienne but it seemed to me that attending the workshop could only help me get it once I figure out what it is.  If absolutely nothing else, the workshop would at least be highly inspirational.  Oh - and I couldn't be more right.

Truthfully, as soon as I walked in the room and he extended his hand and said "Hi.  I'm Kevin." I was completely blown away.  He is exactly as you would expect him to be.  Hilarious, fun, charming, and personable.  And I signed up to spend two full days with him!  Pinch me!

After Day One I am absolutely inspired. Still a bit intimidated (he is Kevin McDonald after all) but mostly inspired.  I realized how difficult it can be to write comedy, especially from improv.  But it is encouraging to hear a legend talking about what was right about your work, even if the scene was far from perfect.  I cannot wait to see what happens tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment