Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Feb. 8th: The Genius of Leonard Cohen

Wowza!  I almost forgot just how amazing Leonard Cohen is until I went to see Chelsea Hotel tonight.  If there are any Canadians out there who are not familiar with the genius that is Leonard Cohen, then I strongly recommend that you stop being silly and do some research.  And if you are in Vancouver, then I recommend that part of your research involves going to the Firehall Arts Centre.

I continue to be amazed by the level of talent that Vancouver has to offer.  I cannot give enough praise to the entire artistic team of Chelsea Hotel for putting together such a magnificent show.  The show is very simply a collection of poems and songs by Leonard Cohen strung together to create a phenomenal piece of theatre.  I still can't figure out how they did it.  I think it had something to do with the script, the beautiful designs, and the ridiculous talents of all of the performers.  Forget about being triple threats.  These performers are actors, singers, and dancers who are also skilled in playing a variety of instruments.  Talent like theirs just seems unfair to all of the other performers out there who are looking for work.

This show was absolutely astounding, but I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed while I was watching it.  I kept thinking about close friends and family from back home who would have absolutely loved to see the performance.  Unfortunately they won't get the chance to attend simply because they are geographically unable.  I hope for their sake that this show is an outrageous success and ends up going on tour.  Let's hope Vancouver audiences pull through and make this production the success it deserves to be, so that other Canadians can also enjoy and celebrate one of our greatest artists!

Congratulations to the Firehall for an awesome show!  Best wishes for the rest of the run.

Marlene Ginader and Adrian Glynn McMorran in Chelsea Hotel


No comments:

Post a Comment