Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Feb. 6th: Chocolate Milk

Mmmmmm - chocolate milk.  So delicious and creamy.  But definitely not one of those things you have every day.  Fortunately for me I happened to remember a couple of people mentioning that chocolate milk can be a good thing to have after a big workout.  Well I don't know if or why this is true - but I wasn't going to let a good excuse to drink chocolate milk pass me by.

This spring I decided to sign up for a cardio kickboxing class to try to be active in this dreary season.  I had to miss my first couple of classes, but I made it tonight and wow was it ever a workout.  I should have seen it coming.  I'm weak as anything and to say that my cardio is lacking is an understatement.  The good news is that despite it kicking my butt tonight, I am still encouraged by the class and look forward to the next one.  (A huge improvement on my previous attempt of keeping fit with capoeira).

I left the class feeling invigorated, very sweaty, and extremely thirsty.  I knew on my way home that I would be passing by my grocery store, so I made sure to take an opportunity that I get so rarely.  I grabbed a basket, grabbed a few essential things that I needed, then headed straight for the chocolate milk.  And what do you know? It's on SALE!  It's like it was meant to be.

Oh - and because I'm a total nerd and needed to know, I googled "Why is chocolate milk good after a workout?"  The first link I found was from a fitness magazine:  
 Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy.  - http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/ (Follow the link to read the full article)
So there you have it.  Further proof that chocolate milk is awesome!  Thanks brown cows! 






No comments:

Post a Comment