Thursday, February 23, 2012

Feb 22nd: Being responsible!

So we're nearing the end of February which means we are coming to that crucial time when we get one last chance at a tax break on our 2010 tax returns.  That's right - RSPs are due!  So I spent the evening getting stuff together for my contribution this year.

Coming from a Scottish background, I learned the importance of being frugal at a fairly young age (and after staying at a hotel that chained it's TV remotes to the bedside table, I learned the difference between being frugal and being cheap).  My Dad was sure to drill the phrase "Only If Necessary" into my head before every shopping trip to the point where strangers would overhear me turning down clothes on back-to-school shopping trips and wonder where I came from (truth be told - I think my Mom may have shared their sentiment sometimes).  I've generally been good about not spending money on useless things, but it's only in recent years that I've become an active saver - and it feels good.

I know that I'm not the highest wage earner around, but I do know that I make more than enough to live in what is the most expensive city in North America right now, and still have the ability to put away some cash here and there.  So if anyone out there has excuses as to why they can't do it - I'm here to say that you can!  It may require some lifestyle changes but once you realize that the majority of your expenses are on basic consumer items that you don't even need then you will find that the transition doesn't need to be nearly as difficult as you think it might be.

By no means am I saying that I'm doing everything right (I'm not), but I can definitely tell you that being proactive about my future feels absolutely AWESOME.  For anyone who wants to make a change, but doesn't know how, I strongly recommend watching the show Til Debt Do Us Part!  It will give you the swift kick in the pants you need.  At least it gave me the kick I needed - and I couldn't be happier about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment