Friday, January 13, 2012

Jan. 9th: This Chair needs a booster seat!

So - in addition to becoming the VP of the Jessies this season, I was also named one of the co-representatives of BC theatres for PACT - the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres.  In case anyone is curious as to what PACT is, it's essentially the National organization representing almost all of the professional theatres companies across Canada.  Every year they hold a conference and AGM where all of the members are invited to attend to come to decisions about what matters to professional theatres on a national scale (ie. federal funding, labour relations with artist unions, etc.).  Those who attend the conference are usually either the Artistic Directors or General Managers of each company, which I am neither.  But even so - I am one of the representative of the BC Region of theatres and to say that the position scares the crap out of me, is an understatement.

I took the position because I thought it would be a great way to be more involved in theatre on a National scale.  Since being in the position I have been a part of conference calls with theatres from every province and have a greater understanding of what kind of issues are happening where.  Generally it has been great so far, but on Jan. 9th I had to take on my greatest responsibility yet - chairing my first meeting.

It was really exciting, but at the same time I couldn't help but acknowledge that I was chairing a meeting with Artistic Directors present who have been working in theatre longer than I have been alive.  I consider so many of them to be my mentors and my aspirations.  Chairing a meeting and leading this group in conversation was indeed intimidating.  But I think I did a decent job.  Fortunately my co-chair was there with me taking notes, so not all responsibilities fell to me (which I was extremely grateful for).  But to go into the meeting lacking the confidence I felt I needed, and still leave feeling like I held my own and facilitated the meeting in a way that allowed new conversations, but still kept on task with the original agenda was an awesome feeling.

That being said - I am grateful that my co-rep will be responsible for chairing the next meeting, so that the spotlight will be off me.  Turns out that I only like being the centre of attention in very specific scenarios.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment