Friday, January 13, 2012

Jan. 7th: The Yin and the Yang!

After having a fairly relaxed week, we made up for the quiet nights at home with a full day out on the town.  First - we decided to go check out a movie and because I wasn't sure how much longer it was going to be in the theatres, we went to go see The Muppets.

I thought the movie was amazing, and not just because it was created by and featured my celebrity boyfriend.  It was amazing because it was a funny cheezy hilarious and topical musical, featuring The Muppets.  Oh the Nostalgia!  Yes - of course it was sad to hear Kermit sound a little different but the intention was there and by the end I even got a little teary-eyed.  Who doesn't love The Muppets?

After the movie, we then headed to the theatre to see the latest apprentice project.  I knew what we were in for, but it was only when Luke read the notes in the program that he realized that we were no longer in Smalltown, USA.  Nope!  We were heading to Nanking 1937 - which if you are like me and did not know much about what happened there at that time, then you might want to look into the book The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust.  You might think the title tells you all that you need to know, but I think I can attest to the fact that it doesn't.  The author of the book, Iris Chang, was actually the inspiration for the main character in the play called A Nanking Winter by Canadian playwright Marjorie Chan.

Going from bouncing up and down in my seat with excitement, to cowering in my seat hoping that the atrocities would end was a very weird but invaluable experience.  I don't know if we needed to follow it up with watching the movie Seven Pounds when we got home - but hey, I guess if you want to end things on a depressing note then you might as well end things on a depressing note that is at least heartwarming. Right?




No comments:

Post a Comment